Saturday, 11 May 2013

Printing session Sunday 21 April

Ten people came along for a meeting where we were printing with thickened Procion dyes and discharge paste.

Thanks go to Leah for preparing all the colours and paste we were using. We had a delicious selection of colours to choose from: two reds, blues and yellows, plus black, brown and petrol green. Here they are:



I hadn't had much time to think about what I was going to do, so just threw a load of stuff in the car. In the end I made a couple of small print blocks inspired by Hundertwasser's paintings (the subject of a recent workshop). I used these to print, first with discharge paste on black and green cotton and black velvet, and then with thickened dye on white cotton.

The discharge paste was great fun and easy to use. I have used household bleach before, but we used Formosol mixed with with print paste, which was much easier to control. You use it just like thickened dye and can apply it with stamps or by screen printing, including with thermofax screens. After applying it to your fabric, you just have to wait for it to dry and then iron to activate. The design appears like magic and gets paler the more you iron it. Finally, you have to wash the fabric to get rid of the print paste and stop any further bleaching.

Here are my fabrics, after washing and ironing, plus my print blocks.



If any members have a photo of their fabric from the printing session that they don't mind sharing, please send me a copy I'll post it on the blog.

Details of the next meeting will appear shortly.


No comments:

Post a Comment