Sunday, 7 July 2013

More on paper lamination

Following on from our June meeting, when Leah demonstrated paper lamination, Glenda has sent in some photos of her own experiments in using paper lamination. She writes:

'I used two weights of paper to laminate onto a piece of high quality polyester organza: coloured tissue paper including black and denser pale cartridge paper. The medium was quick and easy to apply using a small silkscreen
 
I arranged the paper in alternating strips. I was testing to see how the different weights would stick. Both adhered really well but the medium only adhered to a thin top layer of the cartridge and most of it had to be scraped away. The tissue paper leaked colour in the wetting process. The black was a particular problem as the dye dirtied the surrounding pale paper.
 
The medium is very effective in transferring fine drawn lines from the cartridge paper. It can therefore be used to transfer drawn designs if they are drawn in a permanent ink.
 
The piece is also very dramatic when hung before a window. It becomes translucent. It would be a useful medium for blinds.
 
Large pieces can be built-up quickly and there is a satisfying crispness to the fabric, I used rather dull paper and would like to experiment with more interesting papers.'

Here is the full piece and a detail.


Thanks, Glenda, for sharing these photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment