Saturday, 4 July 2015

Stitched resist from June's meeting

The last meeting was an opportunity for us to prepare fabrics for dyeing in July. I described some techniques that I had been trying and showed my samples, which can be seen below.

I used two different approaches in producing these samples:

* hand or machine stitching, then drawing the fabric up tightly
* dense machine stitching which did not need to be drawn up

The first sample shows hand stitching, in lines, in a block and to outline shapes. The four lines at the bottom are running stitches through one, two, three and four layers of fabric. I used polyester thread double for the stitching.


I started pulling up the threads with the nested squares on the right and I definitely got better as I progressed, because this part did not come out well but the other areas were better.

Here are the results for the parallel lines at the bottom.


And here are the results for the top portion.


I also had a couple of samples using machine stitching, where I had loosened the top thread so I could draw up the stitches. Both used parallel lines of stitching, like this.


This first sample is a bit patchy, the gap is where the thread broke as I tightened it. (I used the same polyester thread as for the hand stitching.)


For the second sample, I used a thicker (quilting) thread in the bobbin, which meant that I didn't have any breakages.


The second approach was something I'd heard about at a show last year and wanted to try for myself. The idea is that stitching will block the dye from fabric covered by a close zigzag or other dense stitch patterns. I tried two stitches in these three samples, in which I pleated the fabric before stitching through all the layers. The stitches are all close zigzag except for the thinner lines in the middle sample which use a stretch stitch. This was an easy way to get a repeat pattern.


The straight lines came out rather faint, but the others worked better. Here are the results.


Finally, I tried stitching a pattern through a layer of fabric on top of wadding. I don't have a picture of the stitching, but here are the results with the wadding on the left and the fabric on the right.


For more ideas, see the blog 'And then we set it on fire', where October 2014 was devoted to stitch resists.






No comments:

Post a Comment